Friday, December 19, 2014

What should Rod Dreher believe today?

With the most recent overwrite of the cultural thumb drive that is Rod Dreher from "the arrogance of Seth Rogen" to the lonesome courage of George Clooney, I've become firmly convinced that our Working Boy is not just an easily spun weather vane ideal for generating blog clicks but might also prove serviceable as a cultural-political-religious Build-A-Bear® ideal for holiday giving.

So what should your BUILD-A-ROD-BELIEF-BEAR believe today? Don't worry, you can always build a new BUILD-A-ROD-BELIEF-BEAR that believes completely different, even diametrically opposite things tommorrow.

Some belief options you can choose:

Cars are good:
  • Yes
  • No
  • Not sure
The best way to know God is through:
  • Architecture
  • Catholicism
  • Orthodoxy
  • Oysters
  • Ignatius Reilly
Dante:
  • Saved me
  • Will save me if my book is ever published
  • God, if you save me from this Dante book, I promise to write a book about You
My political party of choice is:
  • Democrat
  • Republican
  • Neither
  • Which political party do you belong to, and have I told you about my Dante book?
I love eating because:
  • My body is a temple
  • I've already gotten that sex thing out of the way, thank God
  • Food tastes good
  • Even I get tired of the sound of my own voice
I love my home town of St. Francisville because:
  • I'm a localist, and it's where my roots are
  • I made a million dollar advance from a book about it. What's not to love?
  • The Muslims can't find me here
  • If I can sell my Daddy's land in time, I'll have more time to research my next book about kohlrabi
Well, that's only a glimpse of the many, many featured beliefs you can choose to include in your very own, unique BUILD-A-ROD-BELIEF-BEAR for putting under your own tree or giving to others this holiday season.

And the best part is, in addition to those you choose above, you can also add your own featured beliefs the moment you think of one!

So why not take your very own personal BUILD-A-ROD-BELIEF-BEAR for a test build below today?

10 comments:

  1. I took the liberty to add a meme pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's been pretty solid on making excuses for Putin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is also solid on excussing his fellow Media Elitists. Jonathan Carpenter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That occurred to me in a flash about 8 years ago, when he published a commentary on how pathetic was Dan Rather's retirement (even though Rather could have been fired for cause 18 months earlier, likely has a net worth in the eight digits, was nearly a decade past an ordinary person's retirement age, and had responded to his exposure with a mixture of arrogance and mendacity). That's who he identifies with. Also, for Rod, the voice of authority is invariably what's published in the papers, even though anyone who has been the subject of a news story is aware of how slipshod their work can be.

      Delete
  4. Keith, you forgot these options:

    -- Books aren't simply a medium of information. ("...I will never, ever have a Kindle or a Nook, any more than I would have a robot dog.")

    -- Read e-books on iPad. "...all the books I’ve bought to read on my iPad’s Kindle app ..." -- schadenfreude warning

    -- Quit iPad for Kindle ("... I’m thinking the Kindle Paperwhite, which features a higher contrast on the page, might go a long way toward solving the problems that put me off earlier generations of Kindle....Plus, it can be read in sunlight, unlike the iPad.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pik,

      And the best part is, in addition to those you choose above, you can also add your own featured beliefs the moment you think of one!

      Now its up to BUILD-A-ROD-BELIEF-BEAR builders everywhere to start building those particular ROD-BELIEF-BEARS they find most special to them from the virtually unlimited options available.

      I think I'm going to go with the cars-might-be-good, God-through-oysters, my-Dante-book-will-save-me, what-party-would-you-like-me-to-belong-to, I-eat-because-I've-already-gotten-that-sex-thing-out-of-the-way,-thank God, I-love-my-home--town-of-St.-Francisville-because-the-Muslims-can't-find-me-here ROD-BELIEF-BEAR myself, but that's the great thing: everyone's choice can be different.

      Delete
  5. http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/hannahs-graduation/

    A perfectly wonderful way to celebrate someone's graduation from college is to exhume his/her mother and point out how much pain she was in near the end of her life.

    God's blessings on Hannah as she enters the working world. Unlike her uncle, she is at least somewhat familiar with holding down a real job. Perhaps that experience will give her a leg up over those less motivated, formerly-bullied, introspective whiners the university is known for graduating now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The two constants in Rods blogging is homophobia and bigotry against gay rights.and the inability and unwillingness to utilize even a shred of critical thinking skills. I will admit he has some talent as a writer. but it seems ompossible to believe that the man was a professional journalist. His meandering mirage-like blogging is usually characterized by an utter ignorance of basic facts or even basic logic. He reads a press release from some politiacl action group in California and immediately posts an anciety ridden meditation on christans being persecuted before gathering any facts.. His essay on the History of Christian Marriage is deeply deceptive. It is not a history in any real sense but a theological screed describing post Council of Trent catholic theology of marriage while patently ignoring early christian canon law, his own Orthodox Church's stand and protestant views of marriage which are quite different that those of the Catholic church. The result is an intellectually soppy, sleight of handm magician trick writing that perpetrates fraud upon the reader. All of Rod's blogging is like this. It is elusive, contradictory, and devoid of anything that resembles facts or objective information. His consistent refusal to actual explain WHY homosexuality is wrong other than to roll his eyes, sigh, and blather on about the feelings of "traditionalists" comes across as deeply evasive and intellectuakky dishonest. He has made some refernce to natural law but that approach as more holes than a block of swiss cheese. The final impression of of a 3rd rate intellect with some skill at writing who lacks the intellectial ability or inclination to say anything substantive. And yet he complains that people on his blog are not convinced by his arguements against homosexuality. Well when you produce inane blog as dishonestly written as his, of course no one believes him. Also his incessant anti gay stance suggests he has sexual orientation issues of his own. He doth protest too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His viewpoint is quite consistent if you think about it. His view is that Rod has been injured, and that there is a discrete culprit to accuse. Fill in the blanks.

    ReplyDelete