Thursday, May 29, 2014

Around the internets, Vol. 1

A quick digest of stuff which I've seen, read, noticed, thought "Gee I ought to blog that", etc. over the last 4 or 5 months. Maybe I'll make this a regular feature.... Please don't hold your breath.

There's an interesting albeit rambling post on the Ochlophobist blog in which our friend Diane really shines in the comments. I like reading Owen's stuff; he's a lot more "picky" than I — for lack of a better word — that is why it's sort of interesting that he became Catholic, left the Catholic Church for Eastern Orthodoxy for 10 years, and has now sort of come back to here comes everybody, but admits he still might receive communion at a Greek church. Which I don't really get, but I'm me and Owen is more fascinating that way. And plus I get the feeling that he is a genuinely good person who knows what he is doing even if I don't get him.

In the hilarity department we have this from Kathy Shaidle, her rather deprecatory take on our favorite (snort) book, The Little way of Ruthie Leming. Here's an excerpt from the aptly-titled "Why not just accept that your family are jerks and tell them to drop dead?":

“When I was younger, I left my hick family in their hick town and went to the big city where no one would laugh or yell at me for wanting to make something of myself.

“A family tragedy forced me to go back home, where my family and I were reconciled — which is what I thought I wanted cuz I read it in a book somewhere.

“Better yet, I got a book of my own out of it that sold a ton of copies.

“But now I’m miserable again because it turns out that my family is still a bunch of assholes.”

Last but not least, our favorite Paleo-Paleo-Conservative, Thomas O. Meehan, reports on the quest for meaning and purpose on the part of "The" "American" "Conservative".

The American Conservative has a reader survey up at the moment. Have they finally noticed their own pointlessness? Once an dreadnought of Paleoconservatism, they degenerated into a ship of fools in search of a heading. It's telling that a magazine founded by people with adamantine convictions should now be reduced to asking the readership what it wants to hear.

I encourage all readers to rush to the TAC site and put in your two cents. I did. Of course, I asked them to get rid of the most egregious barnacles (Dreher, McConnell) and stowaways, (Millman). I also added that they can do without the children they recruited (Coppage, Olmstead). Of course, I also suggested that they might return to the Paleoconservative roots from which they sprung. Finally I suggested that they try breaking some news rather than merely mooning over events as they do now. Phil Geraldi is the only one at TAC who tells readers things they don't already know.

It is important to recognize this survey for what it is. TAC realizes that having purged actual conservatives in order to forge some sort of new conservatism, they have created an amorphous symposium of nothing in articular. The point of conservatism is to preserve the best, even if unpopular. Nothing speaks more of TAC's lack of Conservatism than its flailing about for direction in this way.

At first I thought Mr. Meehan meant to write "an amorphous symposium of nothing in particular". Then I realized that the word articular refers to joints in a skeleton. So maybe he meant to write that, pointing out the lack of any specific structural shape. Every other analogy in it is naval, so the jury's out. Keith referenced this piece in a recent comment, but I always enjoy good ol' Odysseus on the Rocks so I thought we'd RTWT together. When this TAC ship finally sinks we'll consult Mr. Meehan's blog again to find out news regarding flotsam, jetsam, life rafts and especially whether any of those cool old brass telescopes were found.

LOL, "egregious barnacles"....

21 comments:

  1. How could you have missed this thong-snapping gem? More pastel layers of passive-aggressive schadenfreude than you can shake a gourmet Italian ice at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask not for whom the bell tolls . . . .

      My favorite part:

      It’s hardly news that TAC isn’t (yet!) as central to the Washington conversation as our competitors, nor is it news that living in a tiny town in rural south Louisiana is about as far from the centers of decision-making as you can get. But I get to write for a magazine whose broad conservative vision I agree with, and more, I get to help build it up as a voice for alt-conservatism.

      "Alt-conservatism" indeed. Read this solid conservative post, and especially the initial comments, to see just how "alt" this "conservatism" is.

      Delete
    2. The overall takeaway from that weird post passive-aggressively blessing Sullivan's heart while not so subtly promoting himself as Sully's peer/successor is that what the TAC/Dreher public will get from now on as kibble will be "sensibility" alt-conservatism. And you're right, Pik: "alt-conservatism" is a vast enough nebula to comfortably contain both Insane Clown Posse and Zooey Deschanel alongside Dreher's own ADHD ramblings.

      So how are we to assess the alt-conservative importance of Dreher's sensibilities? This post from earlier may give us a clue:

      Sorry for the light posting today. I’ve been away attending to important matters, about which I can probably tell you later this week.

      Important matters! What could this be?

      a) The asteroid Apophis is arriving early and will smash us back into the Stone Age

      b) He has discovered that, God forbid, he, too, has Stage IV lung cancer

      c) He bought a house

      d) He landed a $2MM advance for the Dante book

      e) He will be taking over as the editor of TAC

      f) One of his chickens really did lay a golden egg

      With matters this important, I won't keep you in suspense any longer than necessary; the answer is directly below:

      ǝsnoɥ ɐ ʇɥbnoq ǝH (ɔ

      Here's the curiously prosperity gospel-ish post announcing this important, alt-conservative matter.

      In other news, I paid off my credit card. Like I do every month.

      Delete
    3. I am curious how you did the upside down font.

      Delete
    4. There was other big news in that post, Keith: Dreher also tells us that, right after Shawnee's visit:

      Here’s what happened next: I felt so happy and strong that I went to the new YMCA in a nearby town, joined, and have been exercising every day for the past week. Every day!

      Delete
  2. Oengus, I thought I'd answered you by posting a link to the upside down text site. Oh, well, just Google "upside down text"; there are several.

    Pik, yeah, there's almost an infantilism to that gushing, as if Dreher were simultaneously playing the role of proud Parent Rod to Accomplishing Baby Rod: "And last week Baby Rod cleaned his plate of vegetables every day. Every day!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upsidedown font is pretty cool. Neat that a lot of these letters are just other letters upside down, or as in the case of o, s and H they are the same letters.

      Delete
    2. The Y membership sounded to me more like a Jr. High puppy love crush on Notable TV Actress.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, all those pictures, too, showing everyone that the bullied St. Francisville nerd boy hosts actresses in his kitchen now. But to get to the next level, he'll need a cut six pack and guns...

      Delete
  3. Pauli, thanks so much for the kind words. Ironically, Owen himself gave me sh*t in the same context: See the post he posted right after the "Leavings" post (titled "On the Other Hand"). He accused me of being a Catholic triumphalist and cheerleader; he presumed to read my heart and psyche (see all that stuff about my supposed "insecurity"); and on and on. Whereupon I gave him grief for his Marxist affectations. And a good time was had by all. LOL.

    But seriously...I didn't know what hit me. I thought I was the one arguing that East and West complement each other; that one's not spiritually superior to the other; that I respected Eastern stuff even though I was Western myself in blood and bone; and so on. How that translates into cheerleading is beyond me, but the GenXosphere has some strange definitions of reality, in my experience. (Present company excepted.)

    John Beeler came to my defense and explained what I was trying to say better than I could -- for which I am eternally grateful. He and I also had a FB PM conversation about the whole thing. Neither of us could figure out what set Owen off that way. Owen has never apologized, but I don't expect it. Apparently, if you are the Young, Restless, and Kinda-Sorta-Religious, you never have to say you're sorry.

    Which brings me to something I read recently. According to Martin Marty, the big divide among Christians right now is not between conservative and liberal. It's between mean and non-mean. I think there's a lot of truth in this -- especially on the Internet (although I've certainly encountered Mean Christians in Real Life as well). The Mean Christian Syndrome seems to flourish especially among exclusivist groups who believe they are Spiritually Superior to Every Other Christian on the Planet. Thus, on the Internet, you'll find it especially among youngish neo-Calvinists (the Young, Restless, and Reformed contingent), among Independent Fundamental Baptists ("separated" from all those other evil Christians), and among white-bread Protestant converts to Eastern Orthodoxy. (Indeed, many of this last group seem to come from Calvinist ranks: They go from "We're the Elect, and you're not" to "We're still the Elect, and you're still not.")

    In many cases, they invoke Scripture quite selectively to justify their vicious bullying. They don't seem to have gotten the hang of that "examination-of-conscience" stuff. For them, it's always about you, never about them.

    At a Protestant discernment blog called The Wartburg Watch, I found the following insightful quote WRT the "neo-Calvinists": "At least that was my impression of many of the early 20-something dudes who bought into this 10-15 years ago. It also seemed to make them feel justified in being condescending jerks to others whose theology didn't pass muster in their view."

    That is the essence of Mean Christianity -- and it's by no means limited to the Reformed. The Mean Christian's theology may be Reformed, Eastern Orthodox, Ultra-Trad Catholic, or World-Weary-Above-It-All. The common denominator is the condescending jerkiness.

    Having said all that, I acknowledge that I am also a Mean Christian on many occasions...and that I engage too freely in snark and sarcasm. Mea culpa.

    But some of the stuff I've encountered online (and yes, in Real Life) simply blows me away. I cannot imagine treating other people that way and still claiming the name of Christ -- let alone glorying in supposed Spiritual Superiority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having said all that...I should mention that I assume Owen's just been going through Stuff lately; I simply caught him at a particularly crabby juncture. Anyway, I prayed a Novena for him. I understand he and his wife are expecting. I wish them all the best.

      Delete
    2. "Anyway, I prayed a Novena for him. I understand he and his wife are expecting."

      Dang. Which novena did you use?

      Delete
    3. LOL. Divine Mercy Chaplet. Also a bunch o' Memorares.

      Delete
    4. Diane: "The common denominator is the condescending jerkiness"

      Like the poor, the jerks have always been with us.

      That is my thesis, and I once wrote a long article about it. But I'll put it more briefly here:

      Every church has always had a fixed percentage of cranks, jerks, and irascible people. However, in the past, the damage that they did was mostly limited to just their immediate geographical vicinity and circle of face-to-face contacts. Today, thanks to the internet, all such limitations have been removed, and now they can broadcast to the ends of the earth, and their influence has been amplified to extreme decibel levels, way out of proportion.

      Delete
    5. Amen. Very well put and so true!

      Delete
    6. But we can also broadcast the correction to these errors, right? We just have to get on the stick.

      Delete
  4. You ought to read this latest post from Dreher, http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/eight-hundred-dead-irish-children/comment-page-1/#comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me guess. It's anti-Catholic, right?

      Delete
  5. Today's headline:

    Alt-conservative civil war!!!

    Wake me when it's over, so I can go on not caring . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alt-conservatism is the new Tazo® Chai Frappuccino® Blended Crème (you're damn right I had to look that up. And stop looking at me that way.)

      Delete
  6. It might be a good time to review this fine post by TMFKS. Tell me every one of his words from over a year ago don't "ring true and glow like burnin' coal."

    ReplyDelete