Sunday, March 30, 2014

Invited 1,400, Going 53, Maybe 29

What's this, you ask? The guest list for Hell on a merciful day?

Au contraire, foolish but lovable devotees of me, that's the box score this morning for CorkyFest, aka the Walker Percy Weekend in St.Francisville, LA, the tax-subsidized crawfish and bourbon party Rod Dreher is throwing for himself.

I would be going myself, naturally, but I had already promised to give Crank a thorough dip to help ease his mange. Maybe one of you has an extra 100 bucks and a plane ticket to burn and can go in my place. Ever eaten outdoors in South Louisiana, in June, in the evening? That's right, Spanish moss is only a humble tillandsia, not a romantic, naturally cooling insect repellent.

So maybe my first sentence wasn't that far off. Or maybe this event is really just the soft opening for Danteland.

6 comments:

  1. Dreher needs to run a contest to build the excitement. Even a random drawing will do.

    First prize: a DVD of the event
    Second prize : one (1) free all-inclusive ticket
    Third prize : two (2) free all-inclusive tickets

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my bad. For some reason I thought this was taking place in early April. I removed my snark.

      Delete
  3. Would the slow, romantic boat ride through circle three of DanteLand include a full four course meal with vintage wine and Dreher as a dining companion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring your chicken and your....gun?!?!?! #viewfromyourhomeschool

    ReplyDelete
  5. In his daily plug for the Benedict Option it seems that the Working Boy is pondering such an option for his quaint little parish there.

    "I’m very, very encouraged by what the St. Jerome’s people have accomplished, and I’m thinking about things our little Orthodox parish here in West Feliciana might do along those lines with our own resources."

    I wish him all the luck in the world. Perhaps, as he considers his writing life he might also want to consider the abject failure that seems to haunt such communities.

    ReplyDelete